Check Your New York Driver's License and Privilege Status
Maybe you drive for a long time. When applying for a job, you may be required to have a driver's license. Your driver's license should be valid and active at all times and in all places. That is why, before you get behind the wheel, you should check the status of your NYC driver's license.
Please keep in mind that ordering driving records by phone is not permitted in New York. There are, however, other methods for determining the license status.
Online (MyDMV Service)
If you want to order a CDL, standard, or lifetime driving record, go to MyDMV
and download and print a PDF version. You will, however, be able to download it five days after placing an order for a driving record. There is a $7 fee
MyDMV can provide you with the following information about your driver's license:
- Your driver's license's current class and status. Indeed, you can determine whether your license is valid, suspended, or revoked.
- Your non-driver identification, permit, and license status. This will tell you if your documents are still valid or if they have expired and need to be renewed.
- The number of points and traffic violations on your driving record. Remember that this entails purchasing the driving record.
- The type of document you obtain – check to see if it is Enhanced, REAL ID, or Standard – and all relevant information. You will be able to address your driving records by using the MyDMV service. You may also be able to change some details from time to time.
- In New York, the status of your medical CDL certification.
- The status of documents ordered, as well as a mailing list. If necessary, you will also be able to renew or request a replacement document. Keep in mind that it will take approximately 14 days to receive your document.
Many drivers must print and download certified copies of their driving records regularly. This is possible with the help of an online service called Get My Driving Record Now. You will need to create a MyDMV account.
When signing up for MyDMV, keep in mind that you must provide your most recent non-driver ID, driver's license, or permit. In some cases, driving records can only be obtained through the mail. This includes those who:
- You don't have a non-driver ID, driver's license, or permit from New York State.
- You do not have the most recent permit, driver's license, or non-driver identification. They must provide the document number from their most recent document.
Lifetime and CDL abstracts are not available at DMV offices. In New York, it only works for Standard driving records. When visiting a DMV office, you must bring identification and a completed MV-15C
form (Request for Driving Record Information
You will also have to pay an additional $10.
Accepted payment methods include money orders, cash, personal checks, and credit cards. Make money orders or checks payable to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles if you intend to use them. Consider doing your DMV business via mail, in a DMV office, or in your county.
For a Lifetime or Standard driving record, you must submit a completed MV-15CDL
form (Request for Certified CLD Abstract
). A completed MV-15
form must be submitted (Request for Certified DMV Records).
You must also send a copy of your proof of identity. You can use your driver's license or a government-issued photo ID card. In addition, 6 Points of ID work in New York.
After completing and submitting the required documents, you must send a money order or personal check for $10.00
. Make it out to the New York Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Everything should be sent to the following address:
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
If you order a driving record while renewing your driver's license, you must pay a $10 search fee
and the renewal fee
. The blue box on the renewal notice should be marked.