New York Guide On Vehicle Registration Replacement

Have you misplaced your car registration or license plate stickers? Don't be concerned. In New York, you can replace your car registration in three ways: by mail, online, or at your local DMV office.

Replacement of Vehicle Registration

New York State law mandates that you keep your car registration in your car or carry it with you while driving. So, if your registration has been lost, stolen, damaged, or mutilated beyond recognition, get to the DMV as soon as possible to get a replacement. When driving on public roads, you must have proof of your valid driver's license and car insurance, just as you must have proof of your valid car registration. This manifests itself in the form of:
  • On your license plate, there are current registration month/year stickers.
  • Current registration papers containing your personal information, vehicle information, and registration information.
A traffic ticket can be issued if you fail to provide proof of registration when stopped by a police officer. Driving without valid license plate stickers can also result in a traffic stop. You'll usually be able to get a proof of registration receipt right away if you request a replacement in person. You can usually expect items that need to be mailed to you to arrive within weeks.

How To Replace Your Vehicle Registration

Before your vehicle registration expires, the New York Department of Motor Vehicles will send you a renewal notice. If you create an account on the state DMV website, you will be able to receive this notice via email if you so choose. You have the following options for replacing your car registration:


There are a few instances where you will not be able to obtain a replacement vehicle registration through the internet. The following are the vehicle limitations:
  • Vehicles whose registration has expired, been suspended, or been revoked.
  • Vehicles manufactured before 1973.
  • ATVs, snowmobiles, and boats are all examples of recreational vehicles.
  • Trailers and transporters are two types of trailers.
  • The International Registration Bureau registers vehicles.
Suppose your vehicle qualifies for online replacement registration. In that case, you'll need your plate number, registration class (on your sticker), the zip code where it's registered, and a credit or debit card to pay. After you've finished the process, you can print a ten-day temporary replacement registration from the website. Within ten days, you will receive your permanent registration document.

By Mail

If you don't have access to the internet or need a copy of your new car registration right away, mailing your application is the best option. Remember that the DMV may take longer than 10 days to process your application and send you your new registration documents. Put it somewhere safe, and gather the materials you'll need for your mail-in application. Here are the three items you'll require:
  • A completed MV-82D form. If you don't have access to the internet at home, you'll have to go to your local library and fill out the form there. Follow the same steps as for temporary registration, except scroll down until you see "By mail," then click the highlighted link, "Application for Duplicate / Renewal Registration (pdf)," print it out, and fill it out.
  • A photocopy of any government-issued I.D., such as a driver's license, learner's permit, non-driver I.D. (not expired for more than two years), a combination of a current U.S. passport/passport card and signed Social Security card, or a permanent resident card and re-entry permit;
  • A $3 bank check or money order made payable to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles is required.
Fill out the application and mail it along with a copy of your I.D. and a three-dollar check or money order to: New York State Department of Motor Vehicles Utica Processing Center P.O. Box 359 Utica, NY 13503


You may prefer to obtain your replacement car registration by simply stopping by your local DMV office. Fill out the Application for Duplicate/Renewal Registration at the office (MV-82D). To complete the process, present the form with your New York State driver's license, I.D. card, or other forms of identification and the three-dollar fee. At the office, you will receive your new vehicle registration document.

FAQs About New York Vehicle Registration Replacement

Can I get a temporary registration while waiting for my vehicle registration replacement?

  • While you are waiting for your duplicate car registration, you will probably need to get temporary registration.

What are the requirements for a temporary registration?

  • Your license plate number;
  • The class code indicates the type of vehicle you own. If you're driving for strictly personal reasons, such as picking up the kids from school, your class code will most likely be PAS. If you have personalized license plates, drive for a living, are a veteran, or work in a unique profession such as acupuncturist or senator, you may have a different class code. If you've misplaced your registration documents and your window sticker, call the DMV at 1-518-486-9786 to get your class code.
  • Postal code;
  • Credit or debit cards are accepted. There is a $3 fee. This does not apply to stolen license plates or registration documents, however. Online registration is only for lost or damaged window stickers or vehicle registrations.

What if I happen to lose my vehicle registration?

You must obtain replacement car tags if your vehicle tags have been lost or stolen before you can legally drive the vehicle. Go to your local DMV branch, surrender your current registration, and apply for a new one.

What should I do if my license plate is stolen?

If both of your license plates were stolen, you must contact the police and file a police report. If the plates were stolen in New York State, you must use the Certification of Lost License, Permit, or Plates (MV-78B) report.

What if I misplaced my tags in a different state?

You must obtain a police report on the official letterhead of the police department where the incident occurred if they were lost or stolen outside of New York. If you file a police report, you will not be charged the replacement fee.

What is the procedure for obtaining replacement tags?

Bring your original plate (or police report) and the following documents to a DMV office near you to get replacement tags.
  • A completed Vehicle Registration/Title Application form (MV-82).
  • Proof of identity.
  • Proof of insurance.

What is the cost of the replacement?

The following are the current replacement fees for a lost, stolen, or damaged vehicle registration:
  • $25 for two plates.
  • $12.50 for one plate (motorcycles).
In addition, if no police report is provided, the replacement fees are as follows:
  • $3.75 for new registration.
  • $25 for two plates.
  • One motorcycle plate costs $12.50.