Vehicle Registration Renewal In New York
Whether you're moving to New York State, a New Yorker who recently purchased a new car, or simply wondering how to renew your New York registration, there are a few steps you'll need to take. Fortunately, the state of New York makes registering your car a relatively simple process; the answers to nearly every question you may have about New York vehicle registration can be found on the New York DMV website.
Vehicle Registration Renewal Process
Before your vehicle registration expires, the New York Department of Motor Vehicles
will mail you a renewal notice. If you create an account on the state DMV website, you will be able to receive this notice via email if you so desire.
Before you can renew your registration, your vehicle must undergo a safety inspection and an emissions test. These exams are required every year. If your vehicle meets the following criteria, it may be exempt from these tests:
- It is over 25 years old.
- It is 2 years old or newer.
- It is electric
- You drive a motorcycle.
- The vehicle ran on diesel and was manufactured before 1997, and is heavier than 8500 pounds.
- Has historical license plates
- Has passed a heavy vehicle inspection
If you bought the vehicle from a New York dealer but want to handle the registration yourself, you'll need to download and fill out a New York Vehicle Registration / Title Application form (form MV-82). It should be noted that all vehicles registered in New York are required to meet the state's emissions standards.
To renew your vehicle's registration, bring the following documents to any DMV office in New York:
- A completed Vehicle Registration-Title Application (MV-82) and either tax form DTF-802 or DTF-803
- Proof of ownership
- The model year 1973 or newer-NYS Certificate of Title or proof of ownership from another state.
- The model year 1972 or older-a NYS transferable registration.
- Proof of New York State automobile liability insurance with an effective date of 180 days or less
- Proof of your identity and age; either a current NYS permit, license, or non-driver I.D. If you do not have any forms of I.D. mentioned, you will need to bring in the same required documentation as needed to apply for NYS ID.
- Payment for fees, use taxes, and sales tax, or proof of sales tax payment or exemption
- Proof of incorporation (if you are registering a vehicle for a business or organization)
There are a few alternate documents you'll need to provide.
For Out-of-State Dealership (New Vehicle)
You must provide the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
(MCO) and the dealer's bill of sale for a new vehicle purchased from an out-of-state dealer.
For Out-of-State Dealership (Used Vehicle)
You must provide an out-of-state title certificate or transferrable registration transferred to the dealer and the dealer's bill of sale that transfers ownership to you when purchasing a used vehicle from an out-of-state dealer.
From Private Owner
A bill of sale and either the title certificate or transferable registration transferred to you from the previous owner are required for a private vehicle purchased from a private owner.
How To Renew Your Vehicle Registration
Fortunately, renewing your current New York registration is a lot easier. The majority of New York drivers will receive a renewal notice and will be able to renew their registration online, in person, or by mail.
If you have received a renewal notice, follow these steps to renew your New York car registration online:
- Navigate to the New York DMV's vehicle registration website.
- If you need to update your address on your registration, select YES, and if you want to renew your car registration, select Vehicle/Trailer.
- Enter your license plate number, three-digit registration class, last or business name, five-digit ZIP code, and email address.
- Pay the amount displayed by the system.
If you have received a renewal notice, follow these steps to renew your New York car registration in person:
- Go to any DMV in New York.
- Bring your registration renewal notice with you (MV-3 or OP-3). Complete the Vehicle Registration / Title Application (MV-82) if you do not have your MV-3 or OP3.
- Pay the vehicle registration renewal fee.
If you have received a renewal notice, follow these steps to renew your New York car registration by mail:
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Utica Processing Center
P.O. Box 359
- Send the bottom portion of your registration renewal notice (MV-3 or OP-3) to the address on the notice. For the fee, including a personal check or money order made out to the 'Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.'
- Use the Vehicle Registration / Title Application (PDF) if you do not have a renewal notice (MV-3 or OP-3) (MV-82). If you are unsure of the correct amount to renew, send a check to the 'Commissioner of Motor Vehicles,' but do not include the amount.
- Send the MV-82 along with your payment to: